Saturday, September 08, 2007

Uhmmm...okay...

Had an interesting thing happen...someone, whose identity will not be revealed due to the fact that I respect this person's relatives, really insulted me and the film...

Him: So why did you make this movie?

Me: (long explaination)

Him: I'll do a "Mystery Science Theater 3000" on your film for free.

Me: Uh...(something to the affect of) do you realize how deeply you just insulted me?!?!?

Sorta glad I was wearing good clothes because otherwise there would have been spilt blood...

If you don't know what Mystery Science Theater 3000 is, let me 'splain. It is a really funny show where the main characters, two robots and a human, watch god-awful movies and slam on them...see where I might be a little offended? See where maybe I was REALLY offended...and he was willing to do this, SLAM ON MY (make that OUR) TWO YEARS OF PASSIONATE FILM MAKING, for free. Thanks, but no thanks!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. What a bastard.

allen etter said...

Hey, now, Anon...let's not name call. He might just be terribly naive...

Anonymous said...

what the fuck?
actaully i think that your movie has amazing plot.theme.everything.
it makes me happy
to atleast have a very small part in it.
keep it up.

Katie.

Anonymous said...

Allen, I have been awed by your passion for this project to the point of inspiration. I know creative drive when I see it. But bear in mind, intent alone does not a masterpiece make. Be prepared for some crass criticism. You made this flic on a nickel-ninety-eight. You surely must expect unfavorable (and unfair) comparisons. "Dark Star" was panned unmercifully. I think you're on the right track.

Andrew Glazebrook said...

Mmmm,a strange comment indeed from your relative !

Andrew Glazebrook said...

Oh hang on he's not a relative,I've just re read your post again.

allen etter said...

Oh, I agree, John. As a teacher, semester I pass out evaluations. I have to be careful when I read them because the good ones can give you a swollen head and the bad ones can really bring you down. I expect to get slammed by some critics...or maybe even a lot of critics...but this shmo had not even seen the raw footage yet. Silly man.

Katie, thanks for the complimet you little potty mouth. :)

Andrew, I did get a simular comment from a relative who said, "where does Allen get his stupid ideas from?"

If I don't have thick skin now, I'm sure I will (or should) by the time the film get's reviewed.

To quote Tom Baker as Doctor who upon seeing his new face in the mirror for the first time, "You gotta take the rough with the smooth!"

...and finally...'naive' makes me seem a tad arrogant...lets say 'uniformed'.

Anonymous said...

haha no problem allen.
tell mrs.etter i say hello.
lolz

Sally said...

Aww, that sucks. No matter how many positive comments you get, 1 negative comment ruins everything. I'mma kick his butt!

Michael Grant Clark said...

We get stuff like that all the time, even from friends. Most people work in normal jobs and the idea of somebody they know making a movie doesn't fit in, so they make a joke of it as it's only a silly little 'hobby' thing.

Next time try taking the piss out of one of their leisure activities and see how annoyed they get. Golfers are an easy target.

I do it for fun, just to see their faces. I'm bad.